Here is a poem that I began in 2005, senior year of high school. It is inspired by four years of Latin class; the Illiad and Troy, the Library of Alexandria and the Lighthouse of Pharos, tales of Alexander the Great visiting Troy almost a century after the war and supposedly running around Achilles's tomb naked, and the legend that Alexander was laid to rest in a glass coffin in Alexandria. It is a sort of an address to his spirit, that calls out to the sleeping hero spirit in each of us. I have rearranged and revised it many times, so the title speaks both to the state of the poem and the state of man, asking "Are we ever finished/ Can our name and legend live on indefinitely?"
P.S. I think it's pompous, overblown and random- when I wrote it I was an insecure teenager, with a sort of missionistic idealism, so, as with all art, keep the context in mind, and judge independently of the creator- here it is, now that I have introduced it so well:
Finite?
Would you wade in the wooden remains,
run 'round the tomb again with your naked friend?
Would you cover your heels where the hero's life drained?
Did a fiery light passing by the container of your last respite,
carry the remainder of knowledge from all
the volumes it swept through the night?
Step out of the past from behind the glass,
To the world you have something to say,
Say something great.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?