I can't put a very specific a date on this one, but I believe it was written sometime during 2007-2008(maybe earlier?), while at college, during a depressing and introverted period, living alone in an expensive apartment my dad was helping me rent, failing at classes and letting life flow by me, a time of finding myself and growing up, that I am embarrassed took so long. ADD medication and marijuana complicated and slowed my transition into adulthood, which did not really get underway until I rejected both. It gave me the insight, though, to see how many people never grow up, clutching to familiar patterns without reflecting on the power of those patterns to shape their lives. One of the most pervasive and pernicious patterns, one vaguely thematically evident in this poem, is that of passivity, which makes sense because I was very passive and dependent at the time. Here it is:
Bitter ashes slashes
In my somersault world
Burning fur grows from my rustface
I fell from grace into cold snow and
bleed all over the place from my knee scrapes
Sad that I didn't have some ace bandages
And overtaken by randomness.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?