Written sometime when I was on ADD meds (as I was from age 10-22), sometime after my grandma died in 2006, but before I really got stubborn about failing. After the initial stoner phase, but before the real depression and flirting with self-destruction that came with later substance dependence. It speaks out to my romantic side, to the desire that I would have someone to say such cute things to, but its rather self-aggrandizing as well, as if to say "look at me and how sexy and cute I can be"- I think I was insecure at the time, but not necessarily depressed. It was a foreshadow of the passive dependence romanticism that came out later. I still like it a lot and hope I get to sing it to a sleeping beauty sometime, someone who knows all about me, and still loves me, and but wouldn't dream of saving me. Haha, so I'm looking for acceptance now, not salvation. Is healthy love based on, in part, of putting yourself out there to be accepted? But not SEEKING acceptance or approval-- especially from anyone in particular-- it certainly could be!
Aubade For A Sleepyhead
(starts with faint delicate guitar picking, gradually speeds up with the intent of waking my lovely sleeping lover)
You've got to wake up some-time, sunshine
There's a new day waiting for you and me,
Not a cloud in the sky to be seen
nothing but bluuuue between
two siiiides of the horiiiizon
warm summer breeze is quite inviting
so I say to you, "It's time to be risin'"
[faster to slower picking]
The rooster crowed, hours ago
So let's go, get this show on the road.
You're so cute, curled like fetal in womb,
but it's time you unfurled like a petal in bloom.
The sun's already hoisted halfway in-to the sky,
it'll be noon soon, we CAN'T stay cloistered INside
[slower to faster picking]
Should I put ice on your nose?
Should I tickle your toes?
Do you need a quick bath?
Should I pour you a glass? (((coffee or hair of the dog or whatever you're having)))
Can I massage your back?
I'm gonna PINCH YOUR ASS!!!! (just added this line as I wrote this blog post)
The song is over now, so get dressed you sleepyhead,
The song is over now, so get dressed you sleepyhead,
(I'm gonna sing this refrain til you get up out of bed!)
The song is over now, so get dressed you sleepyhead,
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?